So we moved into the house yesterday. I forgot how much I hate the process of moving. Even though I wasn't present for the moving, I came to my new home and found cardboard boxes scattered across my new bedroom. Those will be fun to go through. I'll feel a lot better about the move once things are actually in their place! Including my new bed, which I'm waiting to come in!
Meanwhile, I have like a bazillion things due before the end of school, most being due the week after next week. I have a slew of papers, two group projects, and of course tests. It's kind of overwhelming, but I know it will all get done, and I know I'm going to do well in all my classes, so I'm trying to not be worried or stressed. I'm just starting to pay attention to the alarm in my head telling me to stop procrastinating and get my butt to work.
Now to add to all that, my summer has potentially dramatically shifted gears from what I had originally planned. I went to go see my advisor yesterday, and she looked at me and told me point blank that in "our industry", no one who would potentially hire me was going to care that I have a 3.9 GPA. They're going to want experience. Of which I have none. So she's highly recommending I do an internship.
And she's right. I do need to do one. I was hoping I could get away with not doing one, however, because I was planning on making a short film over the summer for my honors thesis, and that would hopefully be impressive enough. And while I do NEED to get the shooting done this summer, I can put off the post-production work for the fall. If I have it properly planned, I would hope that shooting wouldn't take too many days. Maybe I could shoot only on weekends, and get it done in three weekends. I just don't know yet, because I've only written a few pages of the script and don't know what all it will entail. I also have zero idea who is going to act in my video.
But back to the internship... for 2 hours school credit (I don't need this to graduate, which is why I'd opt for 2 hours and not 3) I would only have to work 150 hours overall, about 15 hours a week for ten weeks. And that wouldn't be too bad, and I could still work 10 to 15 hours at the business office as well.
I was really hoping for a summer of relaxing and fun, and I schedule in a little of that, but I guess it's really time for me to buckle down and get serious... because I really haven't been all that serious about my "career" until now.
Anyhow, I just sent an e-mail to the guy at the company my advisor recommended, so I guess I'll just see what he says before I get too wrapped up in all this. But right now the plan is: take a Maymester class, and then start my internship after that, meanwhile working at the business office. And then my last two semesters would be 12 hours. And hopefully finding a job would be easier.
I really wish I had done this last summer, because part of me feels like I just goofed off, but then I also remember I went to three funerals (two being my own family members) and realize that maybe that wouldn't have worked out too well. I know I'm really thankful that I didn't take a class, because the deaths were all so spread out that it would have been impossible to take a class at a time that wasn't impacted by one of them.
Anyhow, I guess I ought to start working on one of those many papers...
1 comment:
yea, i think internships should be required for any major. its good just have the experience, so you are completely blindsided your first day of working and it is even what you expected it to be. Enjoy unpacking all those boxes!! :)
Post a Comment