Tuesday, June 10, 2008

When Life is Black and White

Distort: to give a false, perverted, or disproportionate meaning to; misrepresent.

On Sunday, Charles mentioned something that has been on my mind lately, that the world takes the beautiful things God gave us and distorts them, twists them for their own will. Charles was talking about how people, oftentimes Christians, take the spiritual gifts and distort them into something that they are not, and may even base their whole denomination on this notion.

You would expect the world to distort something of God, but for Christians to do it...

Upon hearing a conversation about someone's circumstances and comparing them to my own, not in pride but in shock, really, I found it unbelievable. There are many "gray areas" we can debate (though I think doing so is usually worthless and feel that each Christian should follow their own convictions in these matters), but there are some things that really are clear-cut, black and white, period, the end, right and wrong. Yet somehow, we create loopholes to get out of them. In this day and age, it just seems too easy.

Extra-martial sex is just plain wrong, just like stealing is wrong just like murder is wrong just like divorce is wrong just like lying is wrong. It's all wrong. You can make excuses all day, but it's still wrong.

I try not to carry myself as one who is holier-than-thou, and I certainly feel far from that at times, but I think that sometimes I make people uncomfortable because of how decided I am on right and wrong. But the way I see it, that is just the way it is. Sometimes I ignore what's right and what's wrong too, but that doesn't make those standards any less true. Convincing myself that black is white and white is black does not change the facts.

Anyhow, that's my soap box for today.

I got my hair cut, and I really like it. I hope I still like it when I style it myself over the next few days. I'll just have to get the hang of it. A random lady at Kroger told me my hair was pretty, and I was too taken aback to think of what to say, though I did at least say thanks!

Also, I don't know why, but I felt inclined to buy ribbon at Target today. It's actually from their Club Wed line... oooo... "special wedding ribbon". Yeah, I really don't know. I thought the particular shade of aqua was perfect and figured it could be my guide as I make choices about things. I'll probably use it for something, either decorations or invitations. I'm really considering making my own invitations. Or I may have someone more graphically-design-inclined (three of my friends instantly come to mind) make a simple but nice design for me that I can print out on nice paper and then tie the ribbon on there. I think that would be nice.

I also bought my mom her Mother's Day gift today... yes, a month late. I just didn't see the perfect gift until today: a copy of Sense and Sensibility (the brand new BBC mini-series as seen on Masterpiece Theater). She was so excited and we watched part of it today. Too bad my dad isn't that easy to shop for. I told him he would probably get his gift a month late too, ha ha. Oh well.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

i wouldn't worry about thinking of things as black and white. if you don't, the gray area is too hard to get caught up in. it gets dangerous when people start trying to justify their actions and make compromises with the bible.

my sister and law made her own invitations. they were pretty cool. writing "sister and law" out looks weird. i dont get the law part. i guess it is supposed to mean sister through law. haha. oh well. hope your having a good day

Unknown said...

It's sister- IN- law, Patrick, lol.

Unknown said...

btw, this is anna. again, i didn't notice i was on john's account.

Anna said...

Yeah, we definitely weren't planning on buying one that big, but a deal is a deal, lol.