Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Frustrations and Illness

Friday morning I had a small crisis involving my failure to attach a document to an e-mail. Then, my work computer became infected with a virus. Then I had a squabble with my mom. All this before leaving for the AO Fall Retreat. Coincidence? I think not.

Sunday morning I wake up (still at the retreat) and I feel awfully dehydrated. We're traveling so I refrain from drinking too much, but it seems that the water is not helping much anyhow. I feel pretty cruddy once we're on the bus, take a nap, feel a little better when I wake up, but still have the throat/dehydration mess going on. Come home and still feel lousy.

Monday morning and I feel the same way. Now I know I'm sick. I had already planned the night before to not go to work, but I still thought I would go to class. I took a shower and did everything I could to get ready, but I just felt so weak, a lot weaker than I normally do when I just have a cold. So I e-mailed my professors a heads-up about my absence, and then decided to sleep... for three hours. Yes, three hours. As if this was not a head's up enough for me that something was wrong, my ears felt stuffy and my left one was in pain. Very strange.

That night Mom took me to a walk-in clinic, where I tested negative for strep, and they felt I just had a nasty cold. I was also told I had an ear infection in my left ear, which was not too surprising by the way it had felt, though it was odd in the sense that I haven't had one in nearly 20 years. So I was prescribed to some antibiotics, and had to sit at Rite-Aid for about forty minutes. I wouldn't go there again for pharmaceuticals if I was dying, because I would die while waiting for the medication!

Anyhow, I took some last night and it helped, and today I felt better too. I still have a lot of annoying congestion, but my fever is gone (it was over 100 yesterday) and I made it to my classes. Oh, and for the one hour that I was at work today, I found out that when we had to delete my old user account on my work computer and everything with it (sans two documents we got to save onto another account before transferring it into the new account), one of the documents was the wrong one. Meaning that one of the documents I needed, the one with all my work hours from since I first started working at the business office, was gone. Forever. Not a very comforting thought.

All that to say, I find it interesting that my weekend has been bookended by some lows. I don't feel any of these things has dragged me down too much, but I feel it is Satan's attempt to keep me from focusing on what God had to say to me this weekend. I must confess that while sick, I haven't been thinking much on what we talked about, but I know full well that the speaker said so much that I needed to hear. But I am determined to not let these mishaps keep me bogged down...

5 comments:

Anna said...

If it works with your insurance, give CVS a try when you go on birth control. The longest I've waited is ten minutes, and here lately I've gotten it within five.

When I read about your ear infection, I cringed. I had one several years ago and it was awwwffuuullll.

Anna said...

What I found was only for children (K-6), but I know there is stuff for teens somewhere. I was originally looking for freelance information but learned that it's a lot easier to free lance if you're already employeed by the company. Try googling different things to see what you can find. That's what I did, lol.

Anna said...

Lol, I just saw your comment on my other post. We wound up with three slow cookers (small, medium, and large) and I NEVER use them. I figure they'll come in handy one day so I keep them around, lol.

Lexie said...

i'm so sorry about your illness! AND to lose all of your emails? :( i hope your week gets better.

Patrick said...

you were definitely much sicker than i was. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

I hate it when i send an email and forget the attachment. it's a bummer.