I just finished reading the New York Times bestseller The Shack, which I was reading for a project in my Entertainment Marketing class. It was an interesting read for me. Sometimes I agreed, sometimes I disagreed, and sometimes I was unsure of my agreement status. Sometimes I was bored, sometimes I was captivated. It was definitely very interesting.
And now for the hard part... I have to market this book as a movie for my class. I had thought this would be relatively easy and fun, but the trouble is that this book is very talky. There's very little action going on, and that's hard to work with when it comes to movies (I have learned this the hard way, after pouring a lot of time into writing a script, only to be told by professors that there was way too much talking going on). But apparently, there are film producers interested in making this book into a film, so I suppose there is a perceived market for it, and hopefully it is actually doable. Thankfully we don't have to come up with all the answers, just enough to make a really neat trailer. :)
Anyhow, I will stop boring you with the details of my homework...
So my Fall Break has been a good mix of relaxing and productive. I am actually proud of myself for being kind of productive, seeing as any break I get I usually take the opportunity to just completely waste my time, ha ha.
So lastly, I'll try to not write out a sermon or anything, but something just hit me this Sunday. I feel like I am always being told that I need to go out and talk to people about Jesus wherever I go. And of course I believe in evangelizing, but something about what was being emphasized to me just didn't seem right. If I told everyone, everywhere, I would be turning a lot of people off. And quite frankly, it's not my personality to just talk to everyone.
I think we forget that evangelism can be done in a lot of different ways, and when it comes down to it, it is all about doing what God wants us to do, being in the center of His will. Sometimes that means praying for someone. Sometimes it's being a friend or serving them, without all the talk. And sometimes it is a conversation about Jesus. But it's not the same way every time, and I think everyone has different ways they have been gifted to tell/show the love of God. I use to feel guilty that I wasn't really "witnessing" to anyone, but at the same time, I knew I was doing what I felt I ought to to be an example of God's love to them. If that is God's will for me, to do that, then praise Him. My role is that person's life is no less than the person who may ultimately be there as the person accepts Christ. And that was a very freeing realization.
***
Things I am currently into: Paramore, The Office, and weddingbee.com.
Things I am completely over: School, politics, and the election.
2 comments:
paramore is an amazing band.. i love their album, except for one song.. and the best part is that the cd plus maroon 5 new one, makes a great running soundtrack.
i'm glad someone else found the randomness of the streisand comment as funny as me. everyone here just kinda blinked at me when i told the story.
also, i liked what you had to say about evangelizing. preach on, sister powers.
Post a Comment