Monday, October 27, 2008

Vote Early, Vote Often


Ok, so you can't vote more than once, and my sticker is backwards thanks to PhotoBooth. But what matters is that I voted today. Woot. (I'm saving my sticker to wear on the actual Election Day. Yes, I am a dork.)

I was slightly disappointed though. I saw so many signs for so many representatives running, and I knew I was only to vote for one, but it still made me sad when I realized how greatly that impacted the total number of people I would vote for over all. I think there were only four, maybe five people to vote for over all. And no, the Presidential election is not the only one that matters! Local politics is VERY important! If you think about it, these are the people who have a much more direct influence on you and your everyday life because they are a part of your community; and they represent you on the national level!

So don't skim over them because you're only there to vote for President or don't skim over them because you're fed up with McCain and Obama and don't plan to vote for either! Get informed and vote local, because it does matter.

By the way, the only candidate running against Bart Gordon on the ballot, and it is an Independent. I know the name of a Republican you can write in if you're curious, just let me know and I'll pass that along to you. Not that you should only be voting by party but, you know, just in case. I learned about it in my Election class and thought I would pass the knowledge on to anyone who cared.

6 comments:

Anna said...

you may want to read my comment on brian's post in full. it had nothing to do with culture, lol.

Lexie said...

i sent my absentee ballot in a week ago! let's hope it gets counted.

B K Kenobi said...

my point was, why is considered okay by many to write off the instructions (or "suggestions" to tone it down a bit for anna ;) )towards women as "cultural" but not any of these other things?

B K Kenobi said...

haha, it's cool. i REALLY didn't mean to sound like i was coming down on women in the church or anything (i'm all for it), it was just an example.

also, yay for voting! i don't think i'm going to get to this year (registered in the boro, stuck in memphis) and i'm pretty bummed out. the people downtown told me i can't vote absentee my first election. :(

Anna said...

I'm not quite sure I would attribute those verses to something that is cultural. I respect Charles, but this time I'm going to have to disagree.

B K Kenobi said...

honestly, i didn't know that much about james dobson . . . he's always just been that friendly guy who's on wayfm sometimes, lol. guess you learn something new everyday.

and even taking into account the disclaimer, a lot of those things are still too far-fetched to be reasonable--especially the international stuff. and how much do you want to bet that it's circulating around in chain emails without that part attached?

it's all depressing. i don't care who people vote for as long as they know the truth going into it, you know?

I think at this point I'll just be glad to have this whole election thing behind us.