Saturday, October 25, 2008

Where Have All The Good Stores Gone?

Well, Garrett and mine's engagement pictures (that we're taking at Centennial) got rescheduled for next weekend due to the Vanderbilt football game, so I decided to go shopping to see if anything caught my eye to wear for them. I had no such luck, the only thing I tried on being a very cute but totally impractical short-sleeved, mock neck top from Express that was full price, so it got nixed.

After going to a few stores at The Avenue, I headed to the mall. I mostly went to see if there was anything at the Gap, only to discover that it had been moved to the new outside shopping center at the mall. I went to check it out, and was slightly disappointed. I liked the feel of it, as I have really grown to prefer the "lifestyle shopping" setting over the mall setting, but it was only a little bit larger than the old Gap, and had a Baby Gap and a Gap Kids attached to it, which really resulted in less clothing in the women's section.

When I came home, I was complaining to my mom about how the new Gap is so small and yet Forever 21 has this huge store that is just filled with (in my opinion) mostly (but not all) tacky clothes. Don't get me wrong, they have some cute stuff, but why don't they have a smaller store with their cute things and the Gap have a bigger store with their nice things? Mom was then talking about how Gap hasn't been doing as well lately, whereas other stores, like Forever 21, are doing a lot better.

It's just frustrating to me. I guess Forever 21 is such an appeal (especially to teenagers) because their clothes are less expensive and are really trendy. But for me, since I'm in college and on my way to "the real world," so I'm trying to build up a classic, quality wardrobe. I may get a more trendy piece every now and then, but lately I've mostly been focusing on getting pieces that I can wear for several years. That's why I'm so glad we have an Ann Taylor Loft now, and that's why I wish there was more at the Gap. But I guess there's not much that I can do about it...

2 comments:

Anna said...

I didn't like Forever 21 until I actually spent a reasonable amount of time in there looking through everything. My mom bought me a nice red coat and a nice black coat from there. I also found a yellow jacket/blazer that looks nice too. It can be frustrating, because at face value, they all look like very tacky clothing, but most of their stuff is hidden within the racks.

Lexie said...

shopping at f21 is akin to shopping at a thrift store. you really do just have to dig and take a gamble with quality.

as for GAP, i thought they were on the upswing with designer patrick robinson taking creative control. i havent done much shopping there since i left my job and the sweet, sweet discount.