I'm afraid I am going to have to vent a little.
I graduated four months ago and I have not even had a job interview. And this is getting a little old. Granted, I have not applied to very many jobs, but there aren't very many that I honestly can apply for. But most of the companies I have applied to have failed to even give me a courtesy email to let me know they've written me off. Could you at least do that much, just so I know that door has really closed?
I added a few more specifics to my resume today before applying for another position, so I hope that helps. But I seriously don't know what these people want. I worked part-time in the same place for three and a half years, in an office environment. I think that would be worth something. Not to mention my GPA and diverse education. I mean, yes I am electronic media production and no that is not at all related to this job I applied for (though for several of these jobs that should not matter when a college degree is not even required), but I have two minors in two completely different areas of study. I am a fast learner. A hard worker. Loyal. Committed. Creative. Driven. Good with computers. Friendly. If you look at my Facebook, you won't find anything that would embarrass you to hire me.
But of course the economy is cruddy, I'm overqualified, I'm under-qualified, I haven't had full-time experience, etc., etc., etc.
I just hope I can at least get an interview soon. I'm still supposed to meet with a photographer sometime (I plan to follow up on that soon), which may result in some part-time work, which would be awesome, even if it's just once a month. I guess I'll continue to make the best of my time until I get something, but it's frustrating to see people who just graduated last month getting jobs and I'm left here without so much as an interview. Le sigh.
P.S. I turn 23 tomorrow. 22 was a big age for me with graduating college, getting married, and doing tons of soul searching. A couple of weeks ago I become greatly encouraged, and that is the hope I want to enter my 23rd year with, not my attitude right now. So here's to making tomorrow better and looking forward to what the future holds...
5 comments:
It took Kenneth from Aug till Feb to find the Verizon job. He wasn't picky, and he was looking for anything that he could have. If it took him that long, think about how its going to be with you and so picky. Try doing something part-time, so at least you have some sort of income extra coming in. Besides, it is always easier to find a job when you already have one. Have you tried calling the companies? That the only way that they let you know if they have actually looked over your resume. Its the real world.. things are different.
My mom applied for probably 100 jobs in the past year before she finally got one. And that includes about 15 to 20 interviews that she went to. And I read that the economy is going to pick up and come back to normal till 2014. So this is going to be like this for a while.
Oh and the lady that makes custom dresses is called A Special Touch. Christi got her prom dress from there, and there are a few designs that I have seen that I want to see if she can tweak into something I like.
my older brother is going through the same thing. just remember it's ONLY been four months .. in the grand scope of things, that's not very long. just keep hunting and you'll find something.
Hey Amy! This is Amy! haha...
So when I read your post on here I was like "I should tell her something that I didn't know that the employment counselor told me." :o) The base has an employment counselor that helps military wives find jobs. Anyways though, he told us to tailor our resumes for each individual job you apply for. I don't know if you already do it or not, but if not it's something you can try. He said that companies look at resumes for about 10 secs or less the first time they go through the stack. So you have to make it stand out. So basically for every job, tailor your resume to answer their specific qualifications/details they're looking for based off the job posting. Then turn it in. It takes more time but it'd be worth it if you get the job! haha I figured the advice couldn't hurt! :o)
You're very welcome! Good luck with the job hunting! Happy Birthday too! I hope it was a great 1st birthday as a married woman! :o)
Post a Comment