Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kitchen Gadget Savings

I'm not so great with the grocery savings (I blame the fact that we eat basically the same thing every week due to our picky tastes and therefore cannot plan meals based on the store's specials that week), but when it comes to other types of shopping, I have found some ways to save. The one place where I have really done well with savings lately is Kohl's. In the past month I have acquired three of their $10 off anything coupons: one which was mailed to me, one which Elissa got through email and passed along to me (don't worry, she had a second one that she could use), and one mailed to my mom that she gave me.

Now one thing that Garrett likes to point out as a male is while yes, I may have saved X amount of dollars, I still spent money. And this is quite true and I understand that. Though the three things I have bought from Kohl's with these coupons are things that are practical and that I wanted to get, it was just a matter of time. (And I think he understood and appreciated that, he just offers another perspective. :))

On my first trip, I found this great serving bowl with handles that has been great for warming up side dishes:

I got the one in the smaller size, which has no problem fitting into the microwave (while other serving dishes that I had registered for do). And since it's white, it goes with everything! Originally $20, marked down on sale, and then the $10 off equaled to four dollars and some cents!

On my second trip I decided to get what I had originally intended to get my first trip (before I decided to snatch up the last small serving bowl there, which was a good choice because I have yet to see another since). A cookie dough scoop may seem like a silly gadget to some, but considering how often I bake cookies, I'm looking forward to using it! I have not had great look with ice cream scoops that were like this, but I am hoping that if I am gentle with it that it will last a while. It too was originally $20 but on sale, and with and additional 15% and $10 off, it too came down to four dollars and some cents.

On my latest trip I had no idea what I was going to walk away with. I considered some mugs I had seen before though I really had no need for them, and I also checked out some of the other departments in the store, but really, their kitchen department is my favorite department. Close to the mugs I spotted the coasters above and the monogram coasters. While the monogram coasters are a little cuter and came in a package of 8 and these only in a package of 6, I really liked that these came with a holder, so I wouldn't have to have coasters randomly distributed throughout the house. And in case you're wondering, we did not have coasters previously other than two MTSU ones, which we both keep in our respective offices. These were originally $17, were on sale, and then with $10 off were marked down to two dollars and some cents!

So I got three new kitchen items for just a little over $10 and a savings of much more. I feel that's pretty hard to beat and all the items will all be quite useful. They are all from the Food Network line, which I did not have anything from before these, but I think I'm a fan!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was actually talking about this the other day with John-- I'm not really into the extreme grocery savings, but I can seriously save money in other areas by combining discounts and sales and stuff. You did great-- I love that white serving bowl!

Anonymous said...

The bowl is awesome. Cookie scoops are worth it. The only downside is that people think you bought your perfectly round cookies instead of baking them. Coasters are fun, too!

Lexie said...

that white serving bowl is so nice! and i didnt appreciate cookie scoops until i worked at the bakery ... they are very efficient! jacob used to have this thing about "unitaskers" -- every gadget he bought for his kitchen has to be able to do more than one thing. i think that's a pretty good policy.

Amy Anne said...

I also love the bowls! Kohls and JcPenny are two places that always have awesome savings.

The more I shop there, the more I kinda wish I would have registered at Kohls.