Wednesday, March 30, 2011

American Idol: Top 11... Again...

Last week ended up being a big shocker with Casey Abrams getting the lowest number of votes, but thankfully the judges used their one save to keep him on for another week (hopefully more!). It's the annual kick in the butt to American Idol fans to vote for their faves, which I guess would include me since I have not been voting yet this season.

Tonight is Elton John night so of course someone is bound to sing "Imagine," which was a big moment for David Archuletta (in my opinion, but then again, he was great every week) in season seven. We'll see who shines tonight... I just remembered that's a John Lennon song... obviously I don't know anything about Elton John and was doing my best to come up with something...

Scotty: Found Elton John's only country song! Of course! Same ol', same ol' with Scotty...
Naima: I'm actually really impressed with what she did with this song, even if it's not my style. Definitely her best performance since "Summertime." So it looks like I'm actually disagreeing with the J.Lo and Randy. Maybe it's because I don't know anything about reggae or the song...
Paul: He's like a fungus growing on me. I think I just like him a lot better with the guitar. Randy is right that he was pitchy a couple of times, but overall not bad.
Pia: After talking this song up I expected more passion out of her than what she delivered, of course I am watching it on a TV with crappy sound. Still great though.
Stefano: Good, good, good. Stefano seemed to learn this past week what kind of songs make him shine. Really good.
Lauren: I'm liking her "soft side" very much; definitely my favorite performance of hers.
James: Fun and rockin'.
Thia: I heard a hint of emotion here! She seems to finally be warming up a bit. Definitely a nice technical performance as well. Randy is right though, it might be a bit safe compared to the real stand-out performances.
Casey: Intimate but still kept my attention, and showed off more of his actual vocal ability. Loved the "Casey moment" towards the end too.
Jacob: I enjoyed this toned-down version of Jacob; sooooo good.
Haley: Perfect song choice, great performance.

This is tough because everyone had a pretty good week. According to the judges though, Naima was the weak point and even though I liked her pretty well this time, compared to the others I might have to agree. Thia's emotion may have not been enough either compared to the other performances tonight. But we'll see what happens...

No comments: