Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Real Dream. Well, One of Them...

So I decided today that I just absolutely have to work on a magazine. I need to be a section editor or the photo director (or an assistant to one of these positions) for Real Simple. But since their offices around here, then maybe I can find another magazine. Or I can just create my own. That's doable, right? I mean, like something relatively successful. It can just be for the Nashville area, it doesn't have to be national. But something well-done that people like.

In case this seems random, it really isn't. Growing up I used construction paper, printer paper, markers, and cut-up magazines and catalogs to create my own magazines. What's funny is that even though I've always been a writer, I actually wrote very little in the magazines. I focused on the content, layout and pictures. Then my senior year of high school I got on the yearbook staff, and was excited whenever I was chosen to be a section editor, the student life section editor specifically. I loved this because one, it's the fun section that focuses on hobbies, trends, Homecoming festivities, etc. I got to work with the adviser to help create the layout, I got to choose a lot of the content, and did a lot of interviewing and writing. I loved it.

And when I worked with Collage in college, it wasn't nearly as intensive or involved, but I enjoyed getting to help pick out content.

I love good photography, an eye-pleasing layout, fun fonts, interesting content, and of course words. It makes me sort of sad that I did not pursue this in college as I had strongly considered my senior year of high school. But at the same time, I know I would have hated taking journalism classes (AKA, "How to Write Like a Second Grader). So I don't know. Just another idea to have whirling around my head along with five thousand other things.

On another note, Casey, Pia and Jacob have been the highlights of American Idol tonight, in my opinion. More about that later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention this, I've just been thinking the past few days that some sort of publication would be fun to put together. I was thinking more international news kinda stuff, but maybe we could find a middle ground and team up? :)

Anna W. said...

I swear we could have been best friends as kids. I did the exact same thing with paper and stuff growing up!

Part of my major in college touched on this, too, and I was able to put together some tri-fold info pamphlets for various things (not quite a magazine, but still fun).