Saturday, July 12, 2008

Marketing Strategy

I have learned a lot about marketing in the past year as I took three marketing classes. I learned about how marketers like to reach out to their frequent customers by giving them deals so that they will be encouraged to come and buy more. Common sense, really, but something that I never thought too much about before.

Well today in the mail we got a little something from the Gap. On the front is says, "Because we like you. We really like you." And then on the inside it says, "A little thank you for being one of our favorite customers", and then next to it is a coupon for $10 off a Gap purchase of $50 or more. Sounds so nice, right? Of course, it's targeted marketing. They can see in their little system that we go there often and wanted to give me a little incentive to come back.

But what's the use of knowing the marketing strategy when I'm going to get pulled into anyhow? Like I'm really going to ignore a $10 off coupon from the Gap! It still works...

2 comments:

Lexie said...

hmm, a lot of market strategy is pretty easy to figure out i think.

however, i would give the store a chance before i ignored the coupon. GAP hired a really awesome designer (Patrick Robinson) and i think their fall stuff is looking good. obviously you do go there often, so take advantage of the system yourself!

Lexie said...

lol, i totally read that wrong! ahhh my brain is tired!