I remember how disappointed I was in one of the band members as I learned more about him. (Later he wrote a book about his early days in the band, explaining the mistakes he made. If I recall correctly, he may have actually not been a Christian at first.) As the hype of Plus One quickly died, so had the respect I had held for them. By the time there were only three members left releasing their third (and last) album, my feelings towards them were bittersweet, but I could see these boys had grown into men.
Fast forward to today. Unlike Plus One (who were artists of faith who were known but never truly took center stage), Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers are artists who speak of faith and take center stage. They are the Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys of my teenage days, right here and right now. As most of us know, even without trying to keep up with it, controversy has followed Miley Cyrus more than once lately. At first it was small things like not wearing her seat belt, and then it escalated to the recent incident of the Vanity Fair photo shoot. I'm not going to say that Miley is too far gone, because she is no where near Britney Spears, but it seems that fame has taken a toll on this girl. That's a lot of pressure for a 15 year old girl, even a 15 year old Christian girl. More gets thrust upon this girl for... well, more. More, more, more. It's no wonder she may crack.
As far as The Jonas Brothers go, it seems like so far, so good. Fortunately for them, they have older members in their band (the oldest being 20) and they have accountability with each other. And I don't want to say it, but maybe they have an advantage of being guys, not because that makes them stronger, but because they don't have quite the same pressure as young teenage girls in the sexually saturated media. I just arbitrarily ended up reading an excerpt of an article about them on the Rolling Stone website, and it seems they are grounded in their faith. They are known for wearing purity rings for their commitment to remain abstinent until marriage. It is admirable of them. And I don't want to sound skeptical of cynical, but I hope that all three stick with it. I get the feeling that these are all three very grounded guys, but I have had that feeling before and been wrong before.
I want so badly for the generation that the Jonas Brothers reach out to to actually have a role model that sticks to their guns. Someone who does not back down or compromise, like all the other so-called role models before have done. I know what it's like to admire someone (famous or not), to think so highly of them, and to watch them fall. And I hope that if the Jonas Brothers never "fall" in such a way like all celebrities seem to, that instead of them getting glory for it, God would. Because it's only through Him that they will be able to stand their ground.
I remember being a teenager. That time when you just need someone to look up to, someone that has traveled through life just a little bit longer than you and, despite their mistakes, has always picked themselves back up and continued to strive to do what's right. It doesn't matter if it's a guy singing on stage to a sold-out crowd or a girl who sits with the "losers" at school.
Will someone just please stand strong?
7 comments:
Oddly enough, I was thinking about writing something about Aaron Carter earlier. I may do that now.
i really like hannah montana.. i'm not so sure about the jonas brothers yet. oh well. Plus one was a good group. And there are still songs that I will listen to.
i really liked your post about the 10 things you should know about me. i dont know what 10 things i would pick. i would have to work on that.
i cant sleep right now. thats why i'm awake. haha
i know that you import your blog onto facebook, and i was trying to do the same, but when i enter the url for my site, facebook keeps telling me that the import failed.
any clue what i might be doing wrong?
This is Anna.
I got the sweater from Old Navy, but it's called a 'boyfriend cardigan', so it's not really what you're looking for, lol.
However, the Gap Outlet at Opry Mills had a bunch of short sleeved sweaters in all kinds of colors, and I'm almost positive I saw them in black.
haha! that worked!
thank you so much. :)
I managed to stumble upon a site called scrapblog.com. They have all kinds of themes there that you can personalize.
It took me an hour just to do the header and get it loaded onto blogger, so make sure you give yourself some time.
Post a Comment